The Most Important Things You Need to Know About Conventional Air Conditioners
If you have a conventional air conditioner or you are considering purchasing one for your New Jersey home, there are some important things to know about how these machines work, the operating cost, energy efficiency, cost, size, and maintenance. Conventional room air conditioners and conventional central air conditioning are the most popular cooling methods in use today in the U.S.
Conventional air conditioners work by way of a very complex process with several critical parts which essentially cool the air by pushing it across coils that are cooled with a refrigerant to remove the heat from the air and re-circulate the cooled air back into the home. An evaporator inside the home draws heat from the air. The compressor pressurizes the evaporated fluid and sends it outside to the condenser. The heat is then released to the outside and the fluid is pumped back to the evaporator.
Central air conditioners are rated on the basis of a Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER). The higher the number, the more efficient the unit is and the less it will cost to operate it. Units manufactured before 1992 commonly had a SEER rating of about 6. Standards in 2008, however, require that units have a SEER rating or at least 10. If you are buying a new conventional central air conditioner, you should look for a SEER rating of 13 or more, if possible, and the unit should carry the EnergyStar seal.
Many of these new units also have additional energy-saving features, such as the ability to run the fan without activating the air conditioner, a programmable thermostat, adjustable fan speed controls and high efficiency devices. The 2008 cost for a central air conditioning system, including installation will run in the $3,000-9,000 range.
Choosing a central air conditioning system of the right size is also important. Many New Jersey homes today have oversized air conditioning systems. Getting the right size unit will save both initial cost and ongoing operating cost.
There are a number of things you can do to increase the energy efficiency of your conventional central air conditioner:
1. Seal ducts in unused portions of the home.
2. Set your thermostat at 78°F
3. Change disposable filters every month
4. Keep weeds and grass away from the compressor
5. Have the system professionally serviced every year
6. Turn the temperature up or off during peak demand hours of the day
7. Install a programmable thermostat
8. Weatherize your home
With these basic facts, you should be ready to make your existing conventional central air conditioning system more efficient or to select a high-efficiency new system. If you are trying to achieve maximum efficiency, you should also investigate heat pumps. For more information, the American Council for an Energy-Efficiency Economy lists the top rated air conditioners available on their website.
If you are looking for a New Jersey Air Conditioning contractor, please call us today at 732-668-4100 or 732-390-0022, or complete our online request form.
Mercer County : Altura, NJ - Bakersville, NJ - Bear Tavern, NJ - Braeburn Heights, NJ - Briar Manor, NJ - Cedar Grove, NJ - Centerville, NJ - Chewalla Park, NJ - Clarksville, NJ - Coxs Corner, NJ - Creston, NJ - Dutch Neck, NJ - East Trenton Heights, NJ - Edgebrook, NJ - Edinburg, NJ - Edinburg Park, NJ - Eilers Corner, NJ - Eldridge Park, NJ - Etra, NJ - Ewing, NJ - Ewingville, NJ - Extonville , NJ - Fernwood, NJ - Ferry Road Manor, NJ - Glendale, NJ - Glenmoore, NJ - Golden Crest, NJ - Golf View Manor, NJ - Green Curve Heights , NJ - Grovers Mill , NJ - Groveville, NJ - Haines Corner , NJ - Hamilton Square , NJ - Harbourton, NJ Heath Manor, NJ Hightstown, NJ - Hillcrest, NJ - Hamilton Square , NJ - Hopewell, NJ - Hutchinson Mills, NJ
- Lakeside Park , NJ - Lawrenceville, NJ - Lewisville, NJ - Marshalls Corner , NJ
- Meadows Terrace, NJ - Mercerville, NJ - Millstone, NJ - Moore, NJ - Mount Rose, NJ - North Crosswicks, NJ - North Princeton, NJ - Nottingham, NJ - Old Mill Farms, NJ - Parkway Village , NJ - Pennington, NJ - Penns Neck, NJ - Port Mercer, NJ - Princessville, NJ - Princeton, NJ - Princeton Colonial Park, NJ - Princeton Estates, NJ - Princeton Ivy East, NJ - Princeton Junction, NJ - Prospect Heights, NJ - Prospect Park, NJ - Quaker Gardens, NJ - Robbinsville, NJ - Rosedale, NJ - Rosemont , NJ - Scudders Falls , NJ - Sherbrook Estates , NJ - Slackwoods, NJ - Stoutsburg, NJ - Sturwood Hamlet , NJ - The Orchards, NJ - Titusville, NJ - Trenton, NJ - Trenton Gardens , NJ - Twin Rivers, NJ - Warner Village, NJ - Washington Crossing, NJ - Weber Park, NJ - West Trenton, NJ - White Horse, NJ - Wilburtha, NJ - Windsor, NJ - Woodsville, NJ - Yardville, NJ - Yardville Heights, NJ